War Games - Chapter 3 - Father to Son

Part 3 - Father to Son

Anduin quietly closed the door as he entered but was aware that his dad's eyes were bearing down on him as he approached his desk.  Anduin thought of Jaina's advice and met his father's gaze and took pains not to look away.  As he stood there his father just stared so Anduin tried to assume a position of "at attention" that he had seen from many Alliance soldiers when they stood before a superior officer.  After a few moments of unbearable tension Anduin couldn't take it any longer and ask, "You wanted to see me sir?"

Varian stared at his son for a few moments then asked, "Why do you think I asked you to join me?"

"Because you want to yell at me for my outburst?"

"No not that.  I mean in the meeting, why do you think I included you in the meeting?  I've never had you in any of the meetings before today.  Why now?"

"I don't know exactly.  Because you want me to learn how the war is going?"  Anduin shifted uncomfortably.

"Nope.  I could have Ellian or Mathias do that at any time.  Why include you in this particular meeting?"

"I don't know.  I guess it has something to do with news from the North you mentioned."

"Exactly Anduin.  The news from the North."

"Now I want to ask you something else.  Who do you think ordered the attack on Taurajo?"

"General Hawthorne?"

"Do you really think we let our Generals attack any city they want?  Why do you think we have portal mages assigned to every staff?  The truth is I ordered the attack on Taurajo and everyone in that room knew it ... except you."

"And I questioned that decision in front of everyone."  Anduin lowered his head for a moment then raised his head.  "I don't agree with your decision to attack Taruajo father."

Anduin thought he saw a hint of a smile on his father's face but it quickly faded to one of steel, "Son I don't care what you think about my decision.  It is easy to judge, it is hard to be the decider and one day you will be in my spot.  The attack was only supposed to stop the flow of supplies and force the Horde back into the North Barrens.  We didn't plan for a massacre but once soldiers get into battle it is sometimes difficult to stop them after they've engaged."

"But why the Tauren?  I know Baine, he's an honorable man.  And I know he desires peace."

"I think our soldiers in the Southern Barrens would disagree.". 

"There had to be another way."

"I didn't see one.  Keep in mind they are part of the Horde and supported the Orc invasion into Ashenvale.  The orcs that burnt the city of Astranaar, the orcs that just blew up a night elf school in Stonetalon,  the orcs that .... well... let's just say the orcs and I go way back.  The Tauren may be a peaceful people but they are supporting my enemy.  Which makes them my enemy.  I don't have the luxury to treat my enemies different when we are at war.  And neither will you."

Anduin suddently realized, "So if you knew all this why did you have the commanders tell their tales?"

Varian looked solemnly at Anduin and said, "For you my son."

"You planned this?!?!  You wanted me to defy you in front of your commander's?"

"Not exactly.  It's always good to get information straight from the people responsible. but there is a lot more to the story son.  The commanders out there don't know it yet but we have a grave threat.  One that will probably live on past my reign as king and one that you will more than likely have to deal with when you are King.  I thought it was past time that I involve you in these discussions."

"I guess that makes sense."

"You have a lot of your mother in you especially her gentle nature and it will serve you well someday.  Then I see outbursts like what just occurred and realize there's a lot of me inside of you as well.  To be king you need compassion and aggression but the trick is knowing when they are appropriate."

"I think I understand.  I will keep my mouth shut."

"Listen and learn son.  I will call on you when I want your opinion and believe me, I do need it.  Go and tell the others I will be in momentarily."

"Before I go Dad ... can I ask a question?"

"In here you can ask me anything."

"I see you brought most of your military commanders but only a few political leaders.  Why aren't any nightelves, draenei or Ironforge dwarves here?  If this is so important why only basically human leaders along with the Wildhammer Keegan?"

Anduin saw a smile cross his father's face for the first time since the meeting began.  "You noticed that huh?  Trust me that everything will make sense eventually.  Let it play out and you will see.  Now get going, I'm sure everyone is waiting on us."

With that Anduin turned and left the room.

Friday, May 13, 2011 at 8:33 PM

0 Comments to "War Games - Chapter 3 - Father to Son"

Post a Comment